Like my last six travel eBooks (link), I’ve chosen a song as my book title and theme. And I think Living In America is a perfect fit for my 2023 road trip for several reasons.
First, I will be visiting friends along the way and seeing some of the joys they experience living in America. It’s the kind of everyday, wonderful, life-affirming, sometimes quirky stuff you won’t see featured in a media obsessed with depressing us with bad news.
Secondly, the song Living In America was a hit by the one and only James Brown. And if that alone weren’t Americana enough, the video (below) features him singing it with flashes of Rocky Balboa and Apollo Creed.
Finally, the lyrics – especially that last line - are the perfect teaser for an epic USA road trip. So, with that said, I feel good letting The Godfather Of Soul kick this thing off.
Superhighways, coast to coast, easy to get anywhere.
On the transcontinental overload, just slide behind the wheel
How does it feel when there's no destination that's too far?
And somewhere on the way you might find out who you are
James Brown, "Living In America" < link to song
Table Of Contents
01. Living In America.
Part 1: AZ/CA. Mar 18-29. Map here.
02. California Dreamin'.
03. Cry Me An Atmospheric River.
04. Amazing Places: Napa, CA. Part 1.
05. Amazing Places: Napa, CA. Part 2.
06. Amazing Places: Napa, CA. Part 3.
07. Amazing Places: Napa, CA. Part 4.
08. Amazing Places: Alameda, CA.
09. Amazing Places: Clovis, CA.
10. Amazing Places: Tower Theatre, Fresno, CA.
11. Amazing Places: El Patio, Fresno, CA.
12. Did I Mention It Rained A Lot? :-)
Part 2: AZ/NV/UT. Apr 15-18. Map here.
13. Get Your Kicks On Route 66.
14. Relics Of The Past On Route 66.
15. The Wild Beauty Of Route 66.
16. Route 66 Will Throw You Some Curves.
17. The Famous Burros Of Route 66.
18. Amazing Places: St. George, UT. Part 1.
19. Amazing Places: St. George, UT. Part 2.
20. Amazing Places: St. George, UT. Part 3.
Part 3: AZ/CO. May18-25. Map here.
21. Amazing Places: Pagosa Springs, CO.
22. Horsing Around In Pagosa Springs.
23. Feeling A Little Sheepish In Pagosa Springs.
24. A Golden Opportunity In Pagosa Springs.
25. A Mission To Know More.
26. The End Of The Line.
27. Amazing Faces: Bobbie and Mike Leonard.
28. This Party Was In Tents! :-)
29. Amazing Places: Westcliffe/Silver Cliff, CO.
30. Amazing Places: School House, Arvada, CO.
31. Just Another Day At The Office.
32. The "Perfect" Storm.
Part 4: NE/IA/MI. May 26-28. Map here.
33. Cruising The Lincoln Highway. Part 1.
34. Cruising The Lincoln Highway. Part 2.
35. Strategic Air Command & Aerospace Museum.
36. Eugene T. Mahoney State Park.
37. Baker's Candies.
38. Boldly Going To Riverside, IA. Part 1.
39. Boldly Going To Riverside, IA. Part 2.
Part 5: MI. May 28-Jul 5. Map here.
40. Oh, What A Beautiful Morning.
41. Amazing Places: Saugatuck, MI.
42. Heaven On Earth.
43. Amazing Places: Bay City, MI.
44. Ray's BBQ, Brews & Blues, Grayling, MI.
45. A Pleasant Thing To Ponder.
46. Pleasant City Is A Pleasant Surprise.
47. Amazing Places: Octopus' Beer Garden.
48. Refuge From The Storm.
Part 6: KY/CO/AZ. Jul 6-Jul 12. Map here.
49. Getting My Ducks In A Row.
50. Buffalo Trace, Frankfort, KY.
51. Amazing Places: Kentucky State Capitol.
52. Amazing Places: Cliffside Diner, Frankfort, KY.
53. Daniel Boone Monument, Frankfort, KY.
54. Amazing Places: Santa Claus, IN.
55. Yes Virginia, There Is A Santa Claus, Indiana.
56. Amazing Places: Carbondale, CO.
57. Amazing Places: Glenwood Springs, CO.
58. For Anyone Who's Ever Had A Bad Hair Day.
59. "The Colorado Rocky Mountain High."
60. Amazing Places: Moab, UT.
61. America Is Funny.
62. America Is Furry.
63. Thank You For Going The Extra Mile.
64. For More Travel And Encouragement.
Contents Books Home Hire Stories